Thursday, April 30, 2009

Fed up

I think I’ve finally reached the moment that I’ve been waiting for. The moment when I am so tired of being overweight, I’m ready to do something about it. Since starting my job as a dispatcher I can safely say that I’ve gained somewhere around thirty pounds. I wish that in the job description it forewarned this in bold print, but instead I think it was in the fine print on 1 out of 800 forms I read and signed. It seems that this phenomenon occurs to 90% of the dispatch population. The other 10% I have ill feelings towards.
It’s no secret now that highly stressful shift work, combined with sitting down in a chair, a phone cord tethered between my ear and my desk, and 10 or 12 hour days in a room with no natural light or windows causes the hand-to-mouth impulses to increase. But before I tap out an ambulance call for chest pain for myself while on duty, I have decided that now is the time to lose the weight.
I’m tired of not fitting into my clothes. I’m tired of not feeling my best. And as much as I hate exercise, it works well for me. I’ve done it before and I can do it again.
I have two weaknesses. The first is Pepsi. Not diet, just plain old regular Pepsi. It’s likeness is to motor oil, but on ice. My second weakness is ranch dressing. I love salad but it has to have ranch dressing. Same with pizza. And who can eat pizza without ranch and pepsi? Gotta break the habit... or sirens will be heading my way.
But in all seriousness, the “baby fat spare tire freshman 15 chunky monkey muffin top” look has got to go. And I’ve already started. I haven’t had soda in several days. Hence the cranky, “I’ve got a headache” vibe I’m putting off. I have increased my fruit, veggie and vitamin intake by huge proportions and I actually exercised today for a brief 20 minutes.
I figure if I gradually ease my way into the changes it won’t hurt so bad and I will be more inclined to stick with it. It helps too that Howard is taking a health class for a few college credits and had to make some lifestyle changes. He opted to cut out fast food and soda. Not a bad choice at all.
I'd like to think that I"m not vein. But the idea of getting into a swimsuit that flatters both me and the suit before it gets miserably hot outside is definitely in my subconscious. Until then, if you see me with junk food please invite me to go swimming. That should deter me from eating any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment