Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Other Shoe

The other shoe has dropped.

I figured the day would come. At least expecting it to happen softened the blow a bit.

The mail arrived last Friday and Howard walked in with a short, one page letter from the home owners insurance company that paid for the water damage to the house.

It stated that through their investigation it has been determined that we are responsible for the cause of the damage therefore "please promptly remit a check for $10,700".

Right.

I have that in my left shoe.

At first, Howard was mad. And I wasn't. I told him how it can't be that big of a surprise. This is standard procedure. We just have to go through the formal motions of working it out. Blah, blah,blah.

Then the next day...I was mad. Furious. And he was not.

I guess it doesn't help if we are both mad on the same day.

Now, we are trying to figure out our next move. Clearly it was our washing machine that leaked. That's not the issue. The issue is that the home owner let the water sit for 8 days before tearing out the carpet, thus resulting in way more damage to his house and our furniture than should have happened.. That part is not our responsibility and that's where it gets messy.

So, as if we don't already have enough daily life to juggle, we now have to battle it out with the insurance company.

Because their "investigation" did not include a phone call to us to ask our side of the story.

And because my left shoe does not have a wad of cash in it to throw around.

And if it did.

I'd have a lot better things to spend it on.

Like new shoes.

And a brand spanking new washing machine.

Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment