Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I'M MAD!

Yes, I said it. I'm mad. I've been trying not to be mad, but it's not working. Part 4 of the basketball posts has an underlying story that is the cause of my anger.
You see, my husband has been coaching basketball for a better part of 12 years. The first two years as an assistant, the next 10 as head coach and in the last 3 years, also the athletic director for our small private school. He has earned his keep plus more like all devoted teachers and coaches of small private schools. Way more hours than the pay is equal to. And... that's fine. He certainly doesn't do it for the pay or he wouldn't be where he is. The real reward comes in the form of the kids he gets the privilege of coaching. What a great group they are. (I think I have said that a few times before already). To say that his time has come to take a trip to the state playoffs is an understatement. There have been many years that he has been one game away from the post season play but this season takes the cake, clearly the closest his team has ever come.

Which brings me to the source of my anger.

The team we played last Friday night, in short, cheated. They had a coach that took the team to the state playoffs and won the championship for the last two years in a row. He is no longer the coach of that team and we had to play them last Friday for a chance to go to Baker City. They have new coaches but for some reason felt the need to have the old coach stand at the end of the court nearest our bench and coach the other team using hand signals. Clearly a violation of the OSAA rules as well as an ethical violation as coaches. But, it wasn't noticed by the officials and although my husband asked the officials to have that man moved, they did not make him, unaware of what he was doing. But, in order to file a grievance it takes a certain amount of time. That amount of time wasn't there due to the impending playoff schedule that was preset. Now, our team didn't play to the best of their ability. We already know that. No question. They earned the score they got, but the team that won was also a team that had 4 grown men and a few players all in on the cheating act.

I am mad.

I am furious, and I can't get over it.

I've spent a better part of 5 days being mad deep down inside and not able to shake it from my thoughts.

There is this internet forum in which you can discuss the games,etc and I logged in and posted something about this other team's antics. I made a comment along the line of "consider the example these men are setting for the young players on the team as they blur the line between black and white".
Bad idea. I was not only called a liar and a slanderer for making such accusations against their "pillars of the community" but I had the "and you call yourself a Christian" line dropped on me.

Boy howdy did I stir a pot.

Now I'm mad and insulted that someone would turn such a blind eye to blatant cheating and consider me the one in the wrong for pointing it out.

I play by the rules. Black and white. I work for the police for pete sakes! I like order and law and rules. And if someone breaks them they shouldn't get rewarded for it. We don't buy people ice cream for running a red light!

But, it doesn't always work that way, I know. Especially now. To see my husband work so hard for something and then watch a school that cheated go instead of us...MAKES ME MAD.

My husband will file a formal complaint and follow the proper channels like he is supposed to. But it won't change anything for this season. The games have already started in Baker City. The other team just won their first game in the first round of the tournament.

Bitter? Maybe.

Disappointed? Very.

Angry? How did you guess?

Mad? I already told you.

Fair? Not at all.

Say a prayer for my heart, please, as we sit on the couch listening to the play by play of each game over the radio instead of being there.

Go ahead, say it. I know what you are thinking. "Life isn't fair". "It's just a game". "Don't worry, there is always next year".

This is about the time I wan't to throw a huge tantrum. But instead, I'll put on my big girl panties and deal with it. It's better if I not cause a scene in my living room in front of all my kids. They will have no idea what I'm talking about and I will look like a loser in my own home.

Smiling on the outside, aching on the inside. Truth be told.

Mandy

2 comments:

  1. You know what Mandy? I would be mad too! Did you feel any better after posting? I know I always do. It actually helps me process everything. I'll pray that you will come to peace with this so it doesn't tear you up anymore.-miss you, Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually, yes. a little better after posting and much better after taking a nap today!

    ReplyDelete